MIGHTY IN POWER!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

" True Love"

"I've never had such a clear mental image of him. I don't need a photograph, I can see him oh so well," she said.

As I read through this article the L-rd spoke in a still, small voice, not in the thunder but in the all-so small voice. "How beautiful it was that through the years Anne could still see Peter's face as though he was still standing there. Her love for him transended time and space, that is what true love will do. That is what I want from My children, to have such a love for Me that through all the trumoil of life you can see My face so clearly. I have been with you always, yet My children have forgotten what I look like... how I have loved My children through all time and space!"

Oh, that we would return back to our first love, never ever forgetting, even for an instant what our true love, Yeshua, looks like!




AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A photograph of the boy with the "beautiful brown eyes" who Anne Frank recalled as her "one true love" in the diary she wrote whilst in hiding in the Nazi-occupied Netherlands is to go on display in Amsterdam.

The photo of Peter Schiff was donated to the Anne Frank museum by his former childhood friend Ernst Michaelis who realized after rereading Anne's diary recently there were no known pictures of Schiff, a museum spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

Frank's Jewish family fled Nazi Germany in 1933 and settled in Amsterdam. During World War Two the Nazis occupied the Netherlands and began deporting Jews to the death camps in 1942, prompting the Frank family to go into hiding.

They lived in a secret annex in a canal-side house for more than two years before their hiding place was betrayed and the family sent to concentration camps.

Anne recorded her years in the attic hideaway in her diaries. A Dutch woman who helped the family found them in the annex after Anne's arrest and gave them to her father Otto who survived the Holocaust. They became famous around the world.

She writes in her diary: "I forgot that I haven't yet told you the story of my one true love."

"Peter was the ideal boy: tall, slim and good-looking, with a serious, quiet and intelligent face," Anne wrote of the 13-year-old she had fallen for in 1940 when she was just 11.

SCHOOL FRIENDS

They would collect each other from school and walk hand in hand through their local neighborhood.

"He had dark hair, beautiful brown eyes, ruddy cheeks and a nicely pointed nose. I was crazy about his smile, which made him look so boyish and mischievous."

Peter later died in Auschwitz, while Anne died in Bergen Belsen concentration camp in 1945.

Michaelis, now 81, had attended a Jewish school with Schiff in Berlin in the 1930s before both families fled the Nazis. When they parted, the boys exchanged photographs.

"He read the diary in the 1950s and thought that Peter Schiff was very likely his friend. But it was only when reading it later that he saw there were no photos and so he contacted us," said a museum spokeswoman.

Anne last saw Peter a few days before she moved into the annexe, but wrote of him in her diary more than 1-1/2 years later after dreaming of him.

"I've never had such a clear mental image of him. I don't need a photograph, I can see him oh so well," she said.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

I love this post. I have a huge heart for people who stood with courage and faith despite terrible circumstance. I hope you are doing well!

My husband and I are going to Israel! It will be my first time. I can't wait. We will visit the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem. I know it will be a difficult day, but I am willing to allow my heart to be touched by the lives of so many people who unfairly died.

Tonya said...

Ann! Hello! I'm so glad you enjoyed our blog about life in Israel. It really is quite an adventure. I would love to answer any questions you have.
As for the ones you asked in your comment on our blog.....
Suggestions for learning Hebrew: The Rosetta Stone computer program is excellent. Other than that, I did not learn much until we came to Israel and went through Ulpan, the language school for new immigrants and tourists too. It is an intensive course that I really enjoyed. In fact we just completed "Keetah Aleph" last week. My husband learned privately with an Israeli living in our home state a few years before we came over and that is always helpful.
I do plan on posting when we get home. I'm not sure I'll have as many adventures to post about back in the states though. :)
When leave Israel in March 31. I am really dreading leaving but I know we need to return home to take care of some things and earn some much needed money. I know this is the Father's plan for us right now. We only had a one year student visa anyway so we would have to leave in just a few more months anyway.
We hope to be able to move back here. Our hearts are for this place and this people. But since neither of us is Jewish it will be a little tricky but all things are possible with God!!!
I don't think I've thought a whole lot about how knowing we were going home has affected/helped me. I really would stay here forever if that was His plan for us right now. Though, I would say it does help where family and friends are concerned knowing that we will be going back. But if you are meant to be here, He will provide everything you need!! Plus, you do always have the option of visiting the States.
Since we had a student visa we were not allowed to work but we own a tour company in the States, New Covenant Tours, so Brent was busy working with that in the evenings. We did not have much time for anything else with Ulpan...it consumes your life.
Let me know if you have any more questions! And I totally don't mind being linked to your blog! Glad you found ours!
Blessings,
Tonya

Olivia said...

Ann I am so sorry, please read my follow-up comment on my blog and notice some changes I made.